Food Swaps - Don’t be afraid to make the trade!
Learning the art of healthy food swaps is so important if you want to establish a healthy body weight and maintain it for life. Here we show you how.
Firstly, what exactly do we mean by food swaps? Well, it’s simply choosing a more nutritious or lower calorie meal or snack option rather than going for the most tempting, heavily laden with fat and sugar, nutrition-less version.
In its simplest form, food swaps are about bringing more vegetables and fruits into your diet while saying goodbye to high calorie or heavily processed foods with little to no nutritional value.
For example, it can be as simple as choosing baked potato over french fries or a piece of whole fruit over a fruit juice. These little switches can really add up over the course of a day or a week to have a big impact. Making the right food choices can ultimately make the difference between a healthy body weight or an unhealthy one. The best news is that you don’t have to starve – don’t stop it, just swap it!
Here’s a list of our favourite food swaps to help you switch without a hitch!
- Swap Soft drink for mineral water
- Swap Sugar for stevia
- Swap Café Latte for Ginger Tea
- Swap White bread for wholegrain bread
- Swap Bacon & Egg Roll for Breakfast Frittata
- Swap Cheddar cheese for cottage cheese
- Swap Crackers and dip for Vegetable crudités and home-made dip
- Swap Spaghetti for vegetable spirals
- Swap White rice for cauliflower rice
- Swap Roast Pork & Gravy for Pulled Pork & Cabbage Salad
- Swap Battered or crumbed fish for grilled fish fillet
- Swap Chicken & Bacon Burger for Chicken & Bacon Salad
- Swap Hamburger for Vegetable & Lentil Burger
- Swap BBQ sauce for mustard
- Swap Creamy pasta for tomato based pasta sauces
- Swap Asian takeaway for Malaysian Lamb & Noodle Salad w Asian Slaw
- Swap Indian takeaway for Indian Vegetable Curry w Chickpeas
- Swap Ice cream for blended frozen banana or berries
- Swap Chocolate biscuits for Raw Cacao Ball
- Swap Cake for Tiramisu Slice
To boost your chances of success, planning ahead is important. Healthy food swapping doesn’t happen by itself, you need to have healthier alternatives on hand to prevent you reaching for something unhealthy.