Finding Protein Rich Food for Vegetarians and Vegans
If you are trying to eat less meat, but don’t know where to start you could be discouraged before you even begin. Here’s our top 10 foods picks which have high levels of plant and grain based protein.
- Oats has three times the protein of brown rice with less starch and more fibre. It’s also a great source of magnesium, calcium and B vitamins with a whopping 17g per 100 grams of protein.
- Lentils are a protein favourite of many, especially those on vegetarian and vegan diets looking to pump up the protein fast. Lentils add 9 grams of protein along with nearly 15 grams of fibre.
- Tofu What use to be seen as a boring vegan protein source has now been transformed into everything from breakfast to entrees, and yes, even desserts! Tofu offers 8g protein per 100 grams.
- Almonds and nuts in general are a good source of protein with 21 g per 100 grams.
- Edamame beans are filled with antioxidants, fibre and protein. Edamame is the young green soybean and is so delicious! It’s filled with a nutty sweetness and pack in 8.5 grams of protein in just ½ cup.
- Chick peas is a versatile pulse so enjoying ½ cup of chick peas will give you 8 grams of protein along with a healthy dose of fibre.
- Green peas are packed with protein and fibre and are so yummy! They contain 8 grams of protein per cup. Bonus, peas are also rich in leucine, an amino acid crucial to metabolism and weight loss that’s hard to fine in most plant- based foods.
- Spinach (cooked) contains 3 grams of protein per cup and as a leafy green, enjoy of much of this vegetable as you can. We don’t have to tell you how to use it as we are sure you are already loving this green vege!
- Pepita seeds. Pumpkin seeds are one of the most overlooked sources of iron and protein out there, containing 8 grams per ¼ cup. They’re also an excellent source of magnesium, not to mention pretty tasty and oh so crunchy!
- Chia seeds Chai chia chai…what can’t this super seed do? Chia has 5 grams of protein per 2 tablespoons and is also a complete protein source.
Now that you have an idea of some protein rich food for vegetarians and vegans, it will be a lot easier to steer away from meats.